Continuing Education Students
Assess Who You Are, Who You Want to Be
A great career planning starting point is to take a self assessment. The results can provide ideas of paths to pursue, or confirm that you are following a path that the right fit. Career Key and Keirsey Temperament Sorter are two resources we recommend.
- Career Key – Assesses interests and provides lists of careers that correlate with your results.
- Keirsey Temperament Sorter – A brief assessment of personality type and preferences, based heavily on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Introductory online assessment is free; also offered is a fee-based follow-up report.
Network, Network, Network!
PC alumni, classmates, colleagues, friends and family are great resources to use as you explore and search for careers. Networking is a great way to find out more information about companies and career paths. While Networking is not about asking for jobs, it does introduce you to people and can provide you with tips on breaking into a field or company.
- LinkedIn has a variety of networking and job search resources. Create a profile, join groups, follow companies, search jobs and more! Building your brand via your LinkedIn profile is a crucial part of your job search. Use the education page on LinkedIn to see geographic locations, organizations and industries of PC graduates!
- Join Friarlink to see what type of careers your fellow friars have pursued, and to connect with them for informational interviews, shadowing opportunities and resume reviews.
- Join other networking group. These groups tend to meet on a regular basis and are formed based on similar interests. Here is a valuable article about networking clubs.
Start Your Job Search
Employment database for PC Alumni and current students. The site also contains a list of career resources with required passwords for PC alums and students only.
As the world’s #1 job site, with over 200 million unique visitors every month from over 60 different countries, Indeed has become the catalyst for putting the world to work. Indeed is intensely passionate about delivering the right fit for every hire. Indeed helps companies of all sizes hire the best talent and offers the best opportunity for job seekers to get hired. Get tips on How to Use Indeed to Master Your Job Search.
Consider using a staffing firm. Search Firms have relationships with a range of employers. When you choose a search firm, you have a variety of tools and resources available to you to help streamline your job search. You will need to search for a firm that has employers in the geographic area you are looking in and that specializes in the field you are interested in.
It may seem simple, but try searching for the career you are interested in using Google or Bing. You can often find articles and resources that will provide you with information to help your search.
Other Career Assistance for You
One Stop Career Centers
Every state provides One Stop Career Centers in various locations. These services are specifically designed for college graduates, recently graduated or with years of experience. At these centers, job seekers can get assistance with resumes, get assistance in developing career and job focus, learn effective networking methods, and gain access to resources identifying employers. You can use the service locator to locate a One Stop Career Center near you.
This site produces career reentry programming, events and content for employers, universities, organizations and individuals.
Top financial firms are using OneWire to look for the perfect candidates for positions at all levels. Use OneWire to be matched to the financial services job that is precisely right for you.